How did Sultan Pepper die
825 years ago The "noble heathen" Sultan Saladin died
"When the sheikh came to the passage from the Qur'an, he said: 'He is the only God, he knows the secret and the revealed', he heard Saladin reply: 'It is true.' After the hour of the morning prayer, he did the last Breath."
Ibn Shaddad, the biographer of Saladin, reports the events of the hour of death of the famous sultan on March 4, 1193. Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub, the full name in Arabic, was an extraordinary ruler for his time. As a devout Muslim, Saladin derived benevolence towards the enemy from the Koran. His legendary sense of justice is not an invention of medieval historians, but is historically guaranteed.
The splendor of the caliphates
In the 12th century, Islam was on the defensive in the Middle East. The glory of the old Arab caliphate in Baghdad had faded. In Egypt, the Shiites had established a counter caliphate; in Syria, Turkish and Kurdish dynasties were fighting for power. The eastern Mediterranean had been ruled by Christians since the end of the First Crusade in 1099. The largest crusader state had its seat in Jerusalem, the holy city for Christians and Muslims alike.
In 1171, Saladin, as the new sultan, restored the rule of Sunni Orthodoxy in Egypt. Over the next few years he unified Syria under his power. Now he had the power to attack the Christian kingdom of Jerusalem. In July 1187, near Hattin, not far from the Sea of Galilee, the decisive battle against the Franks took place - that was the name of the Crusaders among the Arabs. The chronicler Ibn al-Athir writes:
"It was midsummer and very hot, so the Franks were thirsty. They had used all the water from the local cisterns. One had set fire to the area there, which was completely overgrown with dry grass. The wind carried smoke and flames over the Franks. So besides thirst and summer heat they had to endure smoke and fire and the tumult of battle. "
The crusader army was crushed. In the Battle of Hattin, the Muslims also captured the Holy Cross, an important event for Latin Christendom. Since then it has been considered lost, and fragments of relics have been scattered all over the world. In October 1187, Saladin finally took Jerusalem after a brief siege. But unlike in 1099, when the Crusaders carried out a massacre of the Muslim population in the Holy City, Saladin had the Latin Christians withdrawn. Saladin's capture of Jerusalem triggered the Third Crusade, which resulted in a peace treaty in 1192. Six months later, on March 4, 1193, Saladin died in Damascus.
Inventor of the concept of tolerance
The English King Richard the Lionheart already saw his contractual partner as an honorable opponent. In the European reception the image of Sultan Saladin emerged as a "noble heathen". In the Enlightenment he was even seen as the inventor of the concept of tolerance. The French philosopher Voltaire wrote about Saladin in 1756.
"It is said that in his will he stipulated that alms of the same kind should be distributed among the poor Jews, Muslims and Christians. He wanted to make it clear through this provision that all people are brothers and one should not ask what they believe but what they suffer. "
In Lessing's drama "Nathan the Wise", which is set in Jerusalem in 1192, Sultan Saladin becomes a staunch representative of religious equality in the famous parable of the ring.
In the Arab world, Saladin is one of the great heroes of history. Dictators from Nasser in Egypt to Hafiz al-Asad in Syria to Saddam Hussein in Iraq, who, like Saladin, was born in Tikrit, saw themselves as the modern incarnations of the general and sultan from the 12th century.
- Wholesale of cross-linked polyethylene foam
- Nintendo dsi xl lights up when charging
- Advertised vs Unsolicited Links, what's the difference
- How to open WhatsApp DB file Android
- How to beat Dragon King al Carver
- How to solve rubiks cube 4x4 Greek
- How to unmute the microphone in Google Hangouts
- How to remove null characters on Unix
- How do I load a smart card when roaming
- How did Barzeen Barzanji die in 2016
- Which element increases the property interest
- Parry jerusalem organ arrangement for how great
- Atlantis Dermatology at Howard Beach
- What the permanganate oxidation discolors
- What does Pai Marire mean meaningful beauty
- What does Omedetou Gozaimasu mean in English
- Windfinder Malta map where is Malta
- What does Miranda Grosvenor look like
- How to play seven drinking card games
- What is WiFi channel width
- Abe Hirschfeld how much do his paintings cost
- How to do Dal Dhokli
- What is unsifted topsoil prices
- Howling moving closed tight dub veoh films