How to Make Whole Wheat Flour Pancakes
Wholegrain rye bread for loafers: healthy and tasty - that's how it works
Today I have a piece of bread in my luggage and that is a wholemeal rye bread.
But what can be called wholemeal bread according to the definition, how healthy is wholemeal bread compared to white bread?
At the bakery you can now choose from countless types of bread and you are often spoiled for choice. Experts estimate that there are now well over 300 different types of bread. Whole grain bread is also enjoying a larger fan base thanks to an increasingly popular healthy lifestyle. But what is actually in it? But which bread is really healthy? Do you really have to buy whole grain products? And what is the best way to store bread?
Is Whole Wheat Bread Really Healthier Than Wheat Bread?
Whether with jam, sausage or cheese, for breakfast or for dinner: a slice of good bread is simply part of it for many. We Germans consume more than 80 kilograms of bread on average each year.
When it comes to long-lasting satiety, healthy ingredients and great taste, you are always right with whole-grain rye bread. It contains a relatively high amount of fiber, which is exactly why it keeps you full for a long time. In addition, whole-grain rye bread prepared with sourdough contains valuable B vitamins and many important minerals such as iron, potassium or magnesium.
To make whole grain flour, the whole grain, including the shell (the bran) and the sprout, is ground. That is exactly why it contains all the valuable ingredients.
By definition, bread can only be called wholemeal bread if it is made from at least 90 percent wholemeal flour. The remaining ten percent in a wholemeal bread is made up of water, yeast, sourdough, salt and other spices.
But what's the difference?
Various factors can be used to determine how healthy bread actually is.
First of all, the calories are important. There are, however, no major differences between wholemeal and white bread. Whole grain bread has slightly fewer calories than white bread, but the difference is limited. Whole grain bread has around 200 calories per 100 grams, white bread 270.
In terms of nutrients, it looks similar, here the similarities between the types of bread are greater than the differences: Both types primarily provide carbohydrates, are relatively low in fat and contain around eight percent protein.
There is a pretty big difference when it comes to fiber: white bread only contains around two grams on average, while whole-grain bread contains more than four times as much healthy fiber.
Whole grain bread is high in carbohydrates. Is that why it makes you fat?
The answer to this is a clear no. Whole grain breads are high in carbohydrates, but they are long-chain carbohydrates. This means that they are only processed very slowly in the stomach and so the blood sugar level increases rather slowly. Only a small amount of insulin is released, thus boosting fat burning.
Is white bread really unhealthy?
As its name suggests, light white bread consists of at least 90 percent white flour. And that is also the reason why the light-colored bread types only contain half as many vitamins and about two thirds fewer minerals on average. Also, you won't be full for as long with white bread, light rolls and wheat toast as with whole-grain products.
But that doesn't mean that white bread is necessarily unhealthy. Of course, there is also whole grain bread made from wheat flour. This bread is very easy to digest, contains significantly more vitamins and minerals, provides twice as much fiber and ensures that you stay full longer.
But be careful, if not all bakers offer real whole wheat bread. Ask about it, or even better, bake it yourself 🙂 However, not every baker sells real wholemeal wheat bread - unfortunately you have to ask and ask who offers wholemeal wheat bread and where.
What is the difference between wholemeal bread and white bread?
White bread consists of peeled wheat, yeast, salt and water. Whole grain bread, on the other hand, consists of unpeeled grain and sourdough.
And what is a mixed bread?
A mixed bread basically consists of half rye and half wheat flour. If the bread is offered as mixed rye bread, it must consist of at least 51 percent rye flour, the rest is wheat flour. If the bread is sold as mixed wheat bread, it consists of at least 51 percent wheat flour, the rest is rye flour.
Is it really "whole grain" in it when it says "whole grain"?
Here you can clearly say that the term "wholemeal" stands for real wholemeal bread and that, as I said above, is made from at least 90 percent wholemeal flour. But many bakers are very creative when it comes to the names of breads and they use fantasy names such as bsw. "Kraftkorn" or "Whole Food Bread". The bread may or may not be whole grain bread. You can also not assume that a dark bread is automatically a real wholemeal bread. Often the cards are not played entirely with open cards and the bakers bake with plain white flour and then top the bread with a few oil seeds, grains or cereal flakes. Under certain circumstances, baking malt is also used for the bread, which makes the bread darker and gives it the appearance of being healthier 🙂
What are the differences when processing whole grain?
Whole grain breads or rolls are easy to digest if they are made with natural sourdough. It is also very good to give the dough a long time to rise.
If whole grain dough is processed too quickly, the grain cannot swell sufficiently, i.e. the ingredients of the grain are not broken down well, which can cause unpleasant side effects. Unfortunately, not all bakers take the time to make a wholemeal dough for up to 24 hours and let it mature. This is helped with raising agents and other additives, which can then also have unpleasant consequences.
How can you recognize good wholemeal bread?
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to see wholemeal bread with the naked eye. So just ask your trusted baker for more details. If you are looking for a real wholemeal bread, you will definitely find what you are looking for in health food stores.
But you can recognize a real wholemeal bread by its crumb. So you have to see the inside of the bread: it has to look pretty juicy and after you've pressed it in, it should spring back. Quite different from what you may know from light-colored rolls, here what is pressed in stays where it was pressed 🙂
The color of the crumb should look gray-brown rather than red-brown. If the whole grain bread looks more orange-brown and red-brown, it is relatively certain that it was colored with some added sugar.
How long does bread & rye bread last?
Sliced bread generally goes off a little faster than a whole loaf of bread. The type of flour also plays a role in shelf life. White bread lasts around three days on average, while wholemeal bread lasts a good week.
Important: If the bread has even one moldy spot, the entire bread belongs in the garbage to be on the safe side, as the mold can hardly have spread in the bread.
You should store your bread at room temperature if possible, preferably wrapped in paper, in a bread box or a cloth bag. Bread stored in the refrigerator often tastes stale quickly. It is also good if you freeze the bread in slices, so it will keep for about three months.
The recipe for wholemeal rye bread with sourdough ... simply delicious!
- ... for the sourdough:
- 250 g wholemeal rye flour
- 250 g of water
- 50 g rye pitchers
- ... for the cooking piece
- 25 g wholemeal rye flour
- 120 g of water
- 15 g of salt
- ... for the main dough
- Cooking piece
- 340 g wholemeal rye flour
- 140 g water (45 ° C)
- That's how it's done:
- ... for the sourdough
- Grind rye grain and mix with the remaining ingredients and let work for about 12 hours at 30 ° C.
- ... for the cooking piece
- Mix all ingredients and bring to the boil until the mass has a pudding-like consistency.
- Immediately cover the cooking area with cling film and allow to cool.
- ... for the main dough and the stick proof
- Make the main dough after approx. 12 hours.
- Grind the flour and place in a bowl with water, add the water, the cooking piece and the sourdough as well.
- Knead everything well and cover again and let rise again at room temperature for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Forms + piece cooked
- After 45 minutes the dough should have enlarged a bit.
- Flour the work surface and carefully place the dough on the worktop, if necessary help with a dough card, shape carefully, put the clasp down and put in a well-floured cooking basket and let it rise for 2 hours in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 250 ° C after 2 hours.
- Carefully tip the bread out of the proofing basket, pour in and pour a shot glass full of water on the bottom of the oven and close it immediately.
- Reduce heat to 230 ° C.
- Reduce to 210 ° C after 10 minutes and bake for 40 minutes.
- Open the oven about 5 minutes before the end to allow the steam to escape and turn the temperature up to 250 ° C again.
- And that's about it 🙂
Soooo and the first homemade wholemeal rye bread with sourdough is baked.
I really love it very much: Its taste is unmistakable and the taste of the crust is really fantastic, in addition, it stays fresh for a relatively long time.
I hope you like this recipe, even if it is a bit more demanding and complex. After the second or third baking, everything is much easier, you will see.
Today I have the following for you to read on:
I also have a few breads on offer here
Now we're done and I'm curious whether you will be part of the white bread or wholemeal bread team or maybe even the gluten-free bread team. Let me know in the comments.
I wish you a wonderful week, enjoy it and treat yourself to something nice
See you soon
- Catalyst Express 500g, how to reset password
- How to decrypt a ms word file
- Utenti italiani whatsapp online
- How to mix in artrage lite
- How often to take cell mass protein
- Whatley construction stuart fl zip code
- Not available when the Debuggee is doing atmel acquisition
- What is a U31 pill
- Love birds pictures for WhatsApp group
- How to import a certificate into Tomcat
- What is sanction seeking behavior
- Jonathan Merck Howard books publish
- What is RQ90 fuel
- Aplicacion WhatsApp plus Holo
- How to format Lenovo A850 phone
- Prototype how to hijack helicopters
- Meinard kuhlmann what is real pdf
- How to Open Johnnie Walker Bottle Cap
- Where can I get Machop Pokemon Red Emulator
- Woodstock 10% alcohol is the proof
- When does the Olentangy Commons Pool open?
- Kunci gitar lagu dhyo like cepu
- Six10repeater today somehow texts citizens
- Sshfs chown permission denied raspberry
- Who did this to you
- Best western mangga dua massage anywhere
- Lars reichow mainz stays mainz 2015
- Who Owns the Commonwealth of Health?
- How to restore soft partition in svms
- Aec 326ka2 10w binding instructions
- Inspector Morse TV characters who started out
- Dap 1665 dd-wrt vlan howto
- What happened to Michael Murphy's wife